Shivers Should Only Come From the Scary Movie, Not a Poorly Performing Heating Unit
Halloween is a great time to cozy up in a blanket fort and watch scary (or not-so-scary) movies, but if the heater isn’t working properly, it can interfere with even the best-laid plans. If a homeowner has not recently had maintenance work done on their heater, or if it is an older one, it may be near the end of its life. This article will discuss some signs that a home’s heater may be calling for help.
The Home Isn’t Getting Warm
Does the home just seem colder than a person should expect? Heat loss can be due to several factors, including problems with insulation(particularly around windows and doors), power surges, and a malfunctioning thermostat. Weather stripping on windows and doors can help prevent heat loss and reduce energy bills. Power surges may throw breakers connected to the heater, which one can easily correct. If the thermostat is set too low, the settings can easily. If none of these seem to be the issue, it is likely a problem with the unit itself. It is then time to make an appointment with a professional HVAC contractor. Here are a few of the reasons a unit might not be heating as it should:
- Clogged ducts
- Failing heat exchanger
- Dirty heating element
- Malfunctioning heating element
- Clogged fuel lines (in the case of a gas furnace)
- Malfunctioning blower
All of these problems can be fixed by a professional with relative ease.
Banging, Hissing, and Rattling
- Banging: This is a startling one, but it can mean there is a problem with the ignitor, meaning it is late to light, causing a small gas explosion every time it turns on.
- Rattling: Usually, the heater has a loose part causing vibration and noise.
- Hissing or Whistling: This can mean several things, whether a blocked air filter or a problem with the fuel line.
- Whining or Shrieking: High-pitched noises indicate a problem with a belt wearing out.
- Loud Humming: If the normal sound of the heater cycling seems to have gotten louder, there may be a problem with the blower.
Very High Energy Bills
About Central Heating
Central Heating cares about the people of Barrie, ON and the surrounding areas. They have been working since 2007 to provide customized solutions for each unique problem by employing the latest in HVAC technology. Call them today for HVAC service; they even offer 24/7 emergency help.