The High Cost of HVAC DIY Comes in Threes
When the home’s central air system begins making funny noises, or it doesn’t heat up as quickly as it should, there is always a temptation for the homeowners to take it upon themselves to investigate and attempt to diagnose the problem. This temptation is compounded by the fact that it is very easy to find “experts” online with a series of YouTube videos discussing how a person can fix their HVAC. This is, quite literally, a dangerous trend to emulate. There are many hidden costs associated with the do-it-yourself model that those so-called experts rarely discuss.
The High Cost of Mistakes
One of the hidden costs that can end up affecting a repair project involves the lack of experience of the typical homeowner. There is a learning process with every project, and while mistakes are normal, learning through mistakes does come at a price. Sometimes it is simply the cost of buying the wrong replacement part, making another purchase or using the wrong tool, but there are much more expensive mistakes. Any insurance won’t cover these mistakes, and the homeowner will have to pay for them. Such mistakes include the following list:
- Misdiagnosis: An untrained and inexperienced homeowner may think they know what is wrong with their HVAC system and attempt an air conditioner repair. If they replace a part that didn’t need it, they are left with the same problem.
- Wrong Tools: Not having the right tool for the job can make it difficult if not impossible and may require additional purchases.
- Catastrophic Failure: This is when instead of making the problem better, the situation is made worse by DIY. An inexperienced person can damage their system and need to be corrected by a professional. This will cost much more than hiring a professional to repair the initial problem.
- Injury: Without proper safety equipment and training, a person can cause injury trying to repair. Then they have an emergency medical bill to deal with as well as the cost of the repair.
The High Cost of Losing Free Time
xWhen individuals decide to take on a DIY repair, they have to use their free time to do it. Not only does this cut into leisure time, but because of the limited number of hours a person has available for a repair project such as this, the project may take a long time to complete. An HVAC technician is working on the clock and has the experience to complete an HVAC repair in a much shorter time. Even simple maintenance will take less time when a pro does it. Here are a few of the ways it saves time to hire a professional:
- They have training
- They have experience
- They have the right tools and safety equipment
The Cost of Anxiety versus Peace of Mind
A homeowner’s question may be, “But what if the HVAC professionals make a mistake or get injured?” Well, that cost goes to the insurance coverage that the HVAC company must carry. Receiving a license often requires not just training and exam results but also insurance. The homeowner can be assured that they will have the job done right the first time and that there will be no extra cost to them if something happens that is not their fault. Customers should be sure they are hiring a licensed and insured professional.
About Central Heating
Central Heating serves Barrie, ON, and the surrounding areas for all their home comfort solutions. They offer emergency service 24/7 as well as regular repair and maintenance appointments. Call today for more information about their heating services.